Friday, December 26, 2008

New Years Resolutions

With Christmas behind us and the New Year just a few days away, it's time to start thinking about the promises we will make ourselves for the coming year. Every year I sit down and make a list of all the goals I want to accomplish and all the things I want to change, and every year I find myself falling short of the expectations I set for myself.

This year I am taking a different approach. Not too long ago, I was reading everything I could find on becoming successful and one tip I came across had a pretty profound impact on me. It said, "One of the fastest ways to fail is to set too many goals for yourself. While setting goals can keep you on track; if you set too many, you will get lost trying to accomplish them all and ultimately you will accomplish nothing."

I am a list maker. If I don't write it down, it probably won't get done. So for me this was hard to accept at first. But then I took an honest look at myself and realized that the statement held more truth for me than I would like to admit. I realized that I am really great at writing down what I want, but its the follow through I have trouble with. It's easy to recognize the things we want to do, but setting out on the journey to accomplish them can be somewhat daunting and it is easy to stray from the path.

So this year, my list only has only a few very realistic goals on it. I plan on focusing all my attention to only those goals, and committing myself to staying on track. No excuses!

Success takes dedication and commitment and a lot of hard work. It's easy to say you want to be successful. It's even easier to write it down on a piece of paper along with ways to achieve it. But ultimately it takes completing each goal along the path to success for you to be completely successful.








1 comments:

Baroness Bijoutery

Thank you...I remember all this good advice as I do my list. Have a great New Year....Hope you reach all your goals...